Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Bagg of Shit Group

I think I've only ever felt 2 ways after an interview; I've either felt like I can conquer the world, or that it wasn't a good match either for myself or the employer. But never in my life have I ever been made to feel absolutely worthless. That is, until yesterday.
I had 2 interviews yesterday, both with different staffing agencies. The one in the morning went great, they asked what I was looking for and what I like to do, and they were friendly people. But the second was with The Bagg Group.
The first thing the lady asked about when we sat down was how far along I was with my HR Management Certificate, because on my resume I have that I'm currently completing it. I told her that I had just started 2 of the courses over the past 2 weeks, and that I'd be taking 3 this summer. Take a moment and piece together what that means to you. I'm sure you didn't even have to take a moment to comprehend that it meant that the 3rd course has yet to start. I had to rephrase it at least 3 different ways for this woman, and it took her 5 minutes to get it straight. Once it sunk in that I was taking 3 courses a week for the summer, she was like "wow that's a lot" and I laughed it off and said yeah, I know it is, because I do. Then she was like "no but seriously, that's a lot" as if I couldn't handle it. This woman doesn't KNOW me. I laughed a bit again and said that I wanted to get a head start on it and finish it by the end of next year. Then she said that she didn't mean to change my plans or anything, but that jobs like PR, HR, Advertising, etc are not in demand right now and they're not hiring, so it was useless to bust my ass trying to finish something that I wouldn't get hired for anyway. Thanks lady for your opinion, but HR is something that really fits with me. Everyone else that I've told about it has been like wow, that really suits you, I can't believe you didn't think of this before kind of thing. And fuck you, I thrive off of a school environment and love the idea of working towards something and studying, and my live-in boyfriend is going to be gone for 2 months so I'm also taking that many so I can keep myself busy while he's at the other end of the country.
Then she asked what I was looking for; I told her ideally, I would love to work in an HR department and was about to finish with "but I know it's unlikely right now, so any admin position I'd be happy with." Instead of letting me continue, she said "Let me just cut you off right there. That's not going to happen. Not through me, anyway." I could tell at this point that she thought I was a deluded recent graduate with "just" a music degree which equated to absolutely nothing in her eyes. How about the fact that I was managing a group of 25 people for a year at the age of 17? Didn't ask about that one, did you, lady bitch?
After clarifying things about my resume and what I wanted, she continued with "So you applied for the position of Personal/Executive Assistant.... but that's not why I called you here HAHAHAHAHAHA." She proceeded to tell me that the guy I'd be working for was the CEO of some company and was basically on the same level of Donald Trump, needing private jets and chefs and things like that. While she was explaining the job, all I could think in my head is that I wouldn't want to work for someone who had values like that. I'm sorry, I don't care how much money you have... seriously, a private jet? What, first class isn't good enough for you?
The she told me about another position that would start around the beginning of June, and that they were requesting someone with a degree for promotability. This peaked my interest. She told me that maybe I would want the weekend to think about it, then she went on to describe the position, basically describing an office bitch; stocking the fridge, taking coats, etc., but that person would need to be gung ho about it and not think that because they have a degree they're too good to do it. Then she stopped and asked me what I thought. Uh, didn't you just say I could think about it over the weekend? Being me, even though I was pretty turned off by the idea of it, I told her that I would have to know more about the promotability position and the compensation of the job to make a decision. She then said that she "sensed I didn't want to do the job, but that I had no job and therefore did not want to turn it away." Which is exactly right, but I would honestly do the job if it paid enough and I knew I could progress in the company. And I'm not the type of person to do a job half-ass - you give me a job, I'm going to do it to the best of my ability no matter what it is.
As we're leaving, she sasy, You know, you should really be up front with me about these kinds of things because otherwise I'm just wasting your time and you're just wasting mine.

I couldn't believe how worthless she made me feel. There are always ways to word things so that they aren't harsh and offensive. And clearly that woman had no clue how to deal with people.

FUCK YOU LADY. I'd say I wish you lose your job in the recession, but I don't want any karmic repercussions. Everyone tells me I should call her manager and tell her about all this, but I don't think it's worth it. Instead, she'll just have to live with being an awful person who doesn't know how to connect with others, and I will have my glory day when I finish my diploma in a year in a half with straight A's, and land myself a dream job in an HR department.

1 comment:

  1. She was a total bitch, I'm sure you'll find a position that suits you better anyway, you were, once again, over qualified I guess. Anyhow, it could've been good money until you got promoted or found something better but it's her lost mostly, bitch lady !

    ReplyDelete